Bug List

1. Everytime I order food at Starbucks at the Reitz Union or anywhere on campus it takes significantly longer to get than my coffee or drink. This exists because they have a priority for drinks and have multiple staffers working them as opposed to one or two working on the food.

2. My sunglasses are stylish, clubmaster Ray Ban’s, and fit well and have a good design and feel. However, they are easily susceptible to being broken as a result of the thin frames and small lens. This is because they are supposed to have a certain design to them and is simply the product style, but nonetheless the glasses are still easily broken.

3. The change in the Apple headphone jack causes me to have two separate headphones and constantly keep track of one for my computer and one for my phone. This exists because Apple took out the headphone port in all of the newer phones, but not in the newer computers.

4. My scooter is significantly heavier than other scooters and thus takes longer to accelerate and catch up to others. This is because there’s more storage and sitting space so there’s more bulk and weight, taking more gas and power to reach its proper speed.

5. My leather band on my watch is easily broken down and constantly wears down when I use it a lot, even damaging my skin to a certain extent. This is because if I wear for too long of a certain time it will inevitably break down especially when I get it wet and do athletics in it.

6. Certain athletic shorts, such as nike, are sometimes too loose and require me tighten them, but when I do the drawstring isn’t flexible enough and often breaks after I tighten it multiple times. This is because the pants are often cheap and not prepared for long term use, so the strings aren’t made to be constantly tightened.

7. At our house we have two big JBL speakers that are really loud and have high quality sound, but they are had to set up and very complicated if you have no experience with speakers. This creates an issue because people try to set it up and end up blowing it because the settings aren’t adjusted properly. This issue exists because the speakers are such high quality and so loud that they require a certain setting and adjustment for bass so that they don’t blow a fuse.

8. Safari struggles to integrate programs like Pearson and other software with textbooks, and oftentimes doesn’t load or struggles to pull up certain assignments or other things. This exists because often certain websites automatically block pop ups or whatever they may be.

9. One of Soundcloud, a streaming music app, more bigger functionality issues is the fact that you aren’t allowed to que songs up as you are in Apple Music or Spotify. I’m not sure why this exists but maybe because the app may be less developed or simply have not put the feature in yet.

10. The back wallet to my phone case isn’t sturdy enough to hold all of my cards, so if I put more than 4 or 5 in their the stickiness starts to peel off and it rips on certain parts of the plastic. This is because it was only meant to hold one or two cards and not serve as a full wallet, but still presents an issue to someone who doesn’t want to carry a wallet around.

11. The dryer at our house shrinks some of my clothes, forcing me to leave certain pieces of clothing out to dry, which takes significantly more time and effort. This is because if you set certain products on high heat that are cotton they are prone to shrink, and the dryer doesn’t have a more advanced setting.

12. I don’t like how my macbook computer has limited functionalities such as not being able to connect to bluetooth headphones or being able to play CD’s or DVD’s. This is because the computer is older and has a relatively large battery, causing more room for it and taking out the CD capability.

13. MyLab and other pearson products don’t have their schedules linked to Canvas, causing teachers to often just let them exist in MyLab and simply not post them. This leads to a lot of students missing due dates and deadlines. It doesn’t carry over to Canvas because the two websites are by different companies and thus don’t automatically carry over.

14. Greek House Chefs caters our food and produces everything from shrimp po boys to build your own burgers for close to 120 people. However, the food is often not fresh or is lukewarm and not as good as it would be at a restaurant. This is because they have to produce food for such a large amount of people and don’t have the proper equipment to keep it fresh.

15. Often times Chipotle’s line on University is packed and out the door, as it’s at such a prime location that many students flock to it in between class and they have to serve so many people. They get so crowded because they only have one assembly line and often not enough workers so they can’t facilitate and serve their customers quick enough.

16. The app tapingo allows UF students to order several items at on campus stores like Starbucks or Chick-fil-a, yet they’re usually missing things from the menu and don’t have the wide range of items. This is because they often don’t update the menu unless a user comments or makes a direct complaint to tapingo.

17. The movie theater in Celebration Pointe is extremely nice but tickets are often too expensive for me to attend. Sometimes they’re upwards of 20 dollars when you get a prime showtime for a new movie. This is because they need to offset the price of the new reclining chairs and nice movie screens with higher ticket prices.

18. Our Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker takes multiple steps to set up and get coffee brewing, as opposed to Keurigs or other coffee makers that simply require putting a pod in. This is because our model is relatively old, and it requires you to change the filter, fill the water, put the beans in yourself and then start the brew cycle.

19. The elevator at Marston Library takes a long time to get from floor to floor, making it almost not worth using. It’s a result of the old age and constant use on the elevator and the fact that marston has been around for a while.

20. At my kitchen over the summer I would often cook and have to deal with an old exhaust fan that wouldn’t properly get rid of the steam when I cooked pasta or boiled water. This would cause the smoke alarm to go off and us to have open multiple doors in the house. This is a result of the inability to funnel out the smoke and the fact that it was so small and not placed correctly over the stove.

Admittedly, I tried to do this exercise all in one sitting, despite the video cautioning against it. I got to eight before I realized that I was spending so much time on thinking of one it simply wasn’t worth it. By putting myself in a new scenario each time I did it, I easily had more questions and could figure out what bugged me more often. I would run through my day and think about every product or service I encountered, even drawing on some of my friends experiences and what they did to see if it could relate to mine or spark new ideas, and then find the problems within them. In addition, the second part of the exercise got me thinking less about the negativity, and more about why that is and ultimately the third step of how we could solve it, even though that wasn’t the exercise. The bug list was a great way to tweak my perspective on the business world and allow me to start seeing problems and how we could solve them.

Comments

  1. I actually happen to have the same problem with Starbucks. I find it extremely annoying, especially when I just want my morning coffee. One bug that was on your list that wasn't on mine that I actually wish I had included is the one about apple headphone jacks. I think that bug applies to many people, I wish apple had never made that change. Good job overall with this assignment. You completed it thoroughly and efficiently. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carson,

    Totally agree on the complications with MacBook’s. I feel like every time they update the Mac it just gets more complicated. I just got the new MacBook in January, and Apple got rid of the CD port, the USB port, and the Ethernet port. Virtually, all my computer has now is the headphone jack and the charging port. It is super annoying because I have to go buy an attachment just so I can use the USB function. Moreover, Safari is super finicky as well as it does not work with all websites. I use Google Chrome most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson, I really appreciated your insights. They are interesting bugs because it is very easy to tell that they are bugs specific to you and your routine. This to me shows that you actually invested a lot of time into this assignment, which is awesome. I really felt that thing you said about Soundcloud not having a queue feature. Also Mac's nowadays barely have anything to offer with port limitation and they force you to buy laptop extensions. Loved the article, Keep it up!
    Donovan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carson! You did a really great job being specific and relating the bugs to your day to day life which is what is important! It seems like you really have an eye for efficiency which I believe is a great habit set for people going into entrepreneurship. Wow I totally feel you about the Ray Bans!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Exit Strategy

Final Reflection